Australia’s virus-hit state of Victoria has reported its worst price and case rise, prompting fears that a six-week lockdown of capital Melbourne isn’t working.
The state confirmed 13 new deaths and 723 new cases on Thursday – a 36% hop on the case record assail Monday.
There are fears now that Melbourne’s lockdown, which began on 7 July, will get to be extended.
The spike meant Australia overall had its deadliest day within the pandemic.
A 14th person died late on Thursday but his death is going to be included in Friday’s figures because it was announced after the government’s briefing.
Officials in Victoria renewed appeals for people with symptoms to urge tested quickly.
The Victorian government said last week that sick people breaking isolation rules – or not getting tested in time – was resulting in more cases despite lockdown.
Premier Daniel Andrews said that if you’ve symptoms, the only thing you should do is get tested.
“You just can’t go to work. Because all you will be doing is spreading the virus.”
Thursday’s figures dash hopes that recent small letter numbers indicated the state had turned a corner.
Under Melbourne’s second stay-at-home order, people cannot leave their homes apart from exercise, food shopping, work, and caregiving.
Melbourne has also become the primary Australian city to form mask-wearing mandatory publicly, and this may be extended to all or any of Victoria from Monday.
Premier Andrews said the newest case numbers reflected the virus’s hold within the city’s nursing homes – with one in six cases linked to residents and staff.
Elderly people have made up the bulk of deaths reported within the past fortnight.
STATEMENT OF FRANCES MAO
News Reporter Frances Mao, said that when the numbers first leaked out this morning, I heard a reporter on air say he hoped his source was wrong. More than 700 cases – it’s a crushing blow for Melbourne’s five million people. Halfway through the second lockdown, everyone hoped their diligence would start to pay off which the tide would turn.
But it does not look like things will get better any time soon – which means a longer lockdown could be likely.
Lockdown life is harder for Melbournians this point around because they’re browsing it alone. The rest of the country has most of its freedoms back; in order that they can see on social media their friends elsewhere going out and living it up.
How is the rest of Australia coping?
Due to successful stopping of the virus within the starting months of the pandemic, Australia maintains about 16,000 cases and 189 deaths which are still far less than many other countries
However, the outbreak in Melbourne, which began in June, has now led to quite 7,000 cases this month alone, accounting for about 95% of the national total within the second wave.
Last month, with community transmission low to non-existent elsewhere, every other state shut its borders to Victoria.
However, the virus spread to Sydney through visits from Melbourne residents.
Authorities there are now battling clusters around restaurants and pubs, and warn the town is on a “knife’s edge”.
On Wednesday, Queensland joined the Northern Territory and Western Australia in barring entry to anyone from Sydney thanks to the renewed risk.